Sunday, May 4, 2008

Tacos al Carbon

When I first moved to Houston, several co-workers took me to an authentic Mexican restaurant. I don’t mean one of those Americanized chains that are really Tex- Mex. I mean a restaurant owned by Mexicans, staffed by Mexicans, and serving the same kind of food they serve in Mexico City. (Or so I was told).

Since I was a transplanted Yankee, my co-workers wanted to enjoy the sight of me sweating profusely when I bit into my first jalepeno pepper. I didn’t disappoint them. But I’m an adventerous guy, and despite their obvious pleasure in my discomfort, I took their advice and ordered tacos al carbon.

I immediately fell in love with Mexican food. The flavors were new and exciting. A whole new world of culinary treats had opened up.

Sometimes it is easy to get locked into the same old thing. Sometimes meatloaf and mashed potatoes is great, but not all of the time. Sometimes we need to try something different. Sometimes we need to get out of our comfort zone.

If we want our painting business to grow, to be better, we must do something different. The same actions invariably get the same results. If we want to grow, we must test ourselves. We must order something different. We may sweat profusely. Or we may just learn something that will change our life.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: