Monday, June 16, 2008

When Pigs Fly

My wife has a pig collection. She has a jade pig, wood pigs, fat pigs, and skinny pigs She has pigs that make noises and some with funny faces. But she doesn’t have a flying pig. And there is a reason for that. Actually, there are several reasons.

First, pigs don’t fly. Second, if she had a flying pig it would be bouncing around in the curio cabinet I built and would make a mess. Third, if she had a flying pig I’d steal it from her and sell it to the carnival.

So the chances are very, very strong that we won’t be having a flying pig in our house. I’m pretty adamant about that.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind. Over the course of the years I’ve owned a paint contracting company I’ve changed my mind many times about many different things.

For example, I once thought I’d never be able to charge more than $25 an hour. (I’m glad I changed my mind on that one.) I used to think that if I wanted something done right I had to do it myself. (Another one I’m glad to have changed.) I used to think certain painters were irreplaceable, but after replacing them I learned differently.

It’s good to be solid in our decisions. But we must also remain open to new information. We must be willing to reconsider our position if the facts so warrant. And we must seek out new information whenever it is appropriate. That is how we grow. And it’s also a stance that I won’t change. At least not until pigs fly.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: