Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Secrets of my Ways

Once in a while someone will ask me how I can write so many blog posts, post on boards, run a business, and still have any time for fun? Some have asked me if I ever sleep or if I’m on some kind of stimulant.

The truth is, my “secret” has been shared openly for many years. I discuss it in virtually every post on this blog. So I guess that means it really isn’t a secret. I do it with systems.

Systems are a huge time saver. Because I have systems in place, I don’t need to spend my time running around to pick up a check. Because I have systems in place, I can work up virtually any estimate in less than 15 minutes.

There are many ways to utilize systems. The above are just a few examples. Another way I use systems is to write many blog posts in one sitting. I will often write 3 or 4 at one time, rather than try to come up with an idea and bash out an article. I keep a running list of ideas, and work on them for 40 to 50 minutes a couple of times a week. When I get in a writing mood, I write. The result is a backlog of material.

Another way to use systems is to utilize technology. Many electronic gadgets can be programmed to perform certain functions at a pre-set time. For example, my virus software automatically scans my computer at a certain time each week. And I also post many of these blog articles at one time, and then set the day and time for it to be posted to the blog.

None of this huge in and of itself. But by using systems regularly and consistently, my time is used very efficiently. That alone allows me to get more done. The coffee doesn’t hurt either.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: