Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ballpark Pricing

Customers love to ask for a ballpark price when I’m looking at a painting job. And I am usually happy to provide them with numerous ballpark prices:
Hot dog-- $4
Peanuts-- $2.50
Large beer-- $9

I realize that ballpark prices vary around the country. I haven’t been to Yankee Stadium in years, but I suspect that prices are much higher there than in Minute Maid Park. I visited Busch Stadium 2 years ago and prices there were similar to Minute Maid (this must have something to do with ballparks named after beverages). I’ll be going to Chase Field in May, and I’m not sure what to expect other than a lot of ATM machines.

But I digress. Of course, ballpark prices are only a part of the expense when attending a game. Tickets at Minute Maid can range from a paltry $10 to a lot more (I really can’t say how much more because I usually buy a cheap seat and then spend the game wandering around trying to avoid spilling my beer). And then there is parking, whatever trinkets you decide you can’t live without, and last but not least, gasoline.

To be honest, I’ve never used the above lines to a customer. What I usually say when then ask for a ballpark price is: We don’t paint ballparks. Some smile, some frown, some don’t get it. If they persist, I will point out all of the variables that must be considered and any number I throw out will be pretty meaningless.

Even if you provide a range, the customer is mostly likely going to hear the low number. And if your price exceeds that number you will likely have some explaining to do. So unless the customer is really interested in the cost of hot dogs at Minute Maid Park, I’d avoid discussing ballpark prices.

This Day in History:
On April 10, 1962 the first major league baseball game in Houston was played . The Colt 45s (as the Astros were called then) beat the Chicago Cubs 11-2.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: