Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All Work and No Play

It's been said that all work and no play make Brian a very dull boy. Okay, that hasn't been literally said, but the general idea is true. While I work hard, I also have numerous interests outside of paint contracting.

If you have read my blog for long, you likely know that I like gardening. In some ways, gardening is much like running a business. You plan seeds, you nurture the young plants as they grow, and some time in the future you harvest delicoius vegetables and beautiful flowers.

I also enjoy writing, another fact you likely know. Recently I have been directing my writing towards a passion that I have long held-- defending property rights.

Back in the early 1990's the City of Houston proposed to implement its first zoning ordinance. I wrote OpEd articles gave speeches, spoke to City Council, was interviewed, and more. On my birthday in 1993 I received one of the best birthday gifts possible-- the ordinance was defeated in a binding referendum. In 2007 I traveled to Hobbs, NM to help defeat a similar proposal there.

Earlier this year it became apparent that zoning advocates will make another attempt in Houston. I launched a blog and resurrected the organization I had founded to fight zoning in the 1990's.

So, while fighting City Hall is not exactly play, it is something I am passionate about. It is something that gives me immense satisfaction, particularly when the good guys win.

No comments: