Thursday, May 1, 2008

Window Salesmen and Painters

I recently met with the owner of a window company. He is expanding the services his company offered and wanted to talk to me about being his installer for one particular product.

This man has been in the home improvement industry forever. He once sold vinyl siding, and now he sells windows, insulation, and solar water heaters. On the surface, it would seem that I would have little in common with him.

As we talked it became obvious how much we have in common. “I just want leads,” he said. “I can’t sell without leads.” I replied that I couldn’t agree more.

“I want everyone who works for me to make more money than they can anywhere else,” he explained.

“If they do, they won’t do anything to jeopardize their job,” I replied. “If they are making the same money they could get down the road, working for you isn’t a big deal.”

“I like to keep it simple,” he said. “Tell people what you are going to do, and then do it.”

In short, this window salesman stated sound business principles. Those principles apply to any business, in any industry. Even paint contracting.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: