Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Everybody Wants to go to Heaven

When I was younger I spent a number of years heavily engrossed with reggae music. I bought lots of albums, went to reggae clubs, and had my own version of dreadlocks—a pony-tail down to my butt.

One of my favorite songs (I no longer remember the title) was by Peter Tosh. He sang that everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die. I’m tempted to comment on the philosophical implications of this, but since this blog is about paint contracting, I will resist.

After working with hundreds of contractors over the past years, I have my own version of those lyrics: Everybody wants to make more money, but nobody wants to do what it takes.

I realize that this is a generalization, and is not literally true. Many are willing and able to do what it takes. But I continue to be amazed at the number of contractors who repeatedly fail to follow simple and proven business principles.

They might as well beat their head on the wall. Why re-invent the wheel? It’s fine to make a better wheel, but first you must know how to make a basic wheel. Do the same with your business.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: