Saturday, May 2, 2009

Getting Out of the Office: An Update

Last year I wrote about getting out of the office--structuring my business so that I had more time for other pursuits. I am happy to report that I have largely been successful in accomplishing this goal.

To be honest, I cannot take complete credit for this. Our leads have declined, partially because of some reduced advertising and partially due to the economy. Regardless, my business requires much less effort than in previous years--often less than 10 hours a week.

So what am I doing with my time? I have been doing a great deal more writing. I have also been spending a fair amount of time working in my yard. Earlier this year I remodeled my dining room and laundry room.

I could certainly spend 40 to 50 hours a week working on my business. I choose not to. I make an income that is satisfactory, while having the time to pursue other interests. I have created a lifestyle business--that is, a business that allows me to live the lifestyle I desire. While more money is always welcome, it isn't all about the money. There are other factors to consider as well. Besides, some of my other interests are also producing income.

The reduced workload has allowed me to spend more time with my wife. Actually, I am with her a lot anyhow, since she works with me. But we are now spending time doing things that are more enjoyable. And she also has more time for pursuits that are of more interest to her.

A lifestyle business isn't for everyone. Many people have children to feed, college to finance, or other financial considerations that make a lifestyle business impractical. But when money is not the highest priority, such a business has a lot of benefits.

No comments: