Friday, May 29, 2009

Brian’s Wonderful Landscaping Adventure

When I first purchased my home more than ten years ago, the yard had been grossly neglected for a long time. There were large patches of bare dirt, the soil was compacted, and various bedding plants were sprouting up in areas with no beds. In addition, I discovered landscaping stones buried throughout the yard—apparently a relic of some long lost civilization that had attempted some bizarre horticultural practices.

My task at first seemed a bit overwhelming. I knew that improving the condition of my soil would be a key to any long term success. I also knew that the eleven live oaks on my lot were going to limit where grass would grow, as well as the other types of landscaping I could plant.

I would like to say that my landscaping adventure went off without a hitch. But that wouldn’t be true. I killed more than a few plants, and spent countless hours hauling stones, planting shrubs, and laying sod. Much of my effort, particularly in the first few years, was good for little more than exercise.

For example, I had an area in the back yard measuring approximately 25’ by 25’ that remained a barren wasteland no matter how much sod I place on it. The combination of poor soil, lack of drainage, and filtered sunlight simply did not provide a good environment for grass. Several years ago I admitted the futility of my endeavor, and built a large deck. That was certainly one way to solve the problem.

The pride and joy of my landscaping is our pond, which is also a story of grand mistakes and joyous successes. At one time we had three ponds, which were interconnected by waterfalls and a stream. While it was nice to look at, and a constant source of delight, it was a maintenance nightmare. The stream would easily clog with debris, which would cause an overflow and the water level in the ponds would fall dangerously low. We eventually removed two of the ponds and the stream, and installed a disappearing fountain and a dozen azaleas in their stead.

Around the remaining pond we have two pittsoporums that have become larger than I ever imagined such plants could grow. Despite regular, and often severe, pruning, they easily stand 12 feet tall. They make a wonderful backdrop to our waterfall. The beds around the pond also contain ferns, some ground cover, and several Encore azaleas. It makes for a very relaxing environment.

My yard is now virtually filled with lush, green grass. The few remaining thin areas should fill in this summer. And my hibiscus are thriving now that they get full sun virtually all day long.

My gardening and landscaping adventure has been a fun and rewarding hobby, albeit one often filled with frustration. But the results have been worth the effort.

You may wonder what this has to do with paint contracting. My answer is this: My landscaping adventure has taken time to perfect. I developed systems—such as installing watering systems—to make my work easier. This all took patience, perseverance, and a focus on my end goal. And this is precisely what it takes to run a successful contracting business.

No comments: