Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Tip on Using Ad Words

I see a lot of contractors are now using Google Ad Words to advertise their services. I think this is a good idea, as Ad Words allows you to target your market. However, I see one mistake made over and over that confounds me.

When I am visiting a contractors forum, such as PaintTalk.com, most of the Google ads I see are for painting contractors. Is it really wise or beneficial for a painting contractor to advertise his services to other painting contractors? I don’t think so.

In and of itself, this isn’t a big issue. Many Google ads are pay per click, so an advertiser doesn’t pay anything unless someone actually clicks on an ad. While I don’t click on a competitor’s ad simply to cost him money, I have seen numerous ads that I thought might be for a competitor of mine. Out of curiosity, I did click on the ad.

You can place specific web sites on a “do not display” list. I think that that is a wise thing to do. Not only will it save a little money, it will also make your marketing more targeted.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: