Friday, July 11, 2008

I’m Thinking of a Number

Can you guess it? Are you a mind reader?

Many painting contractors try to pretend like they are mind readers. They show up to an estimate and begin to tell the customer how great they are, what the customer needs done, etc. They spend their time talking, and never bother to find out what the customer wants or desires.

I imagine if I showed up on your door step and immediately began telling you what you need to do to improve your business, you’d think that I am a jerk. And if I did that, I would be.

If I were going to offer advice to you, I would first need to know certain things about your business. I would need to know where you are and where you want to go. If I simply assumed that I know both, my road map could take you to Florida when you really want to go to Vermont.

The same is true of our customers. The basic work may be routine to us. The basic needs may be the same from job to job. But each customer is unique. Each customer has their own specific needs, desires, and expectations. If we do not know these things, we could easily propose a job that is inappropriate.

So, unless you knew what number I was thinking of (2,394) you are not a mind reader. In that case, I suggest that you not assume that you know what your customer wants. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Your sales will improve if you do that simple thing.

© BEP Enterprises Incorporated 2008

No comments: