Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Million Reasons to Fail

There is no shortage of people who can tell you all of the reasons why you will fail in accomplishing your dreams. But such pronouncements are really a confession—they are telling you why they fail in achieving their goals and dreams.

When I was a teenager I played on the high school basketball team. I had always been a starter on the team, but one year several “friends” began telling me all of the reasons why I wouldn’t be a starter in the upcoming season. I hadn’t grown enough, I wasn’t fast enough to play another position, I simply wasn’t good enough. Such negativity began to weigh on me and I started to believe it. Ultimately it had an impact on my performance.

Some people do not like the idea that others harbor big dreams. It is a slap in their own face, a reminder of their own failings. But rather than re-evaluate their own conclusions and make the requisite changes, they prefer to drag others down to their level of misery.

While we cannot change such people, we can take steps to reduce their impact on us. We can refuse to deal with them. We can recognize the fact that their failures are no reflection of us. We can reject their self-pity and rise above it. Most importantly, we can associate with people who are not jealous of other’s success, but admire and encourage it.

No comments: