Monday, August 31, 2009

Learning by Spiraling

Learning seldom occurs in a linear line. For example, when we read a book, we might grasp the main points and a few of the minor points. But it is almost impossible to get every point in the book—it is too much to absorb at one time.

Spiraling involves re-visiting old ideas for the purpose of picking up nuances missed the first time. When we spiral we bring an expanded context of knowledge to the topic. We have integrated and applied certain information, and when we re-visit the topic we are able to see deeper meaning and wider application than we could before.

Even before I learned about spiraling, I often had the following experience: I would read something and think, “I get this.” Later, when I revisited the point, I would grasp it even better, and think, “Now I really get it.” And later still, I would see new applications and think, “Now I really, really understand.” The interesting thing is, no matter how many times I come back to these issues, it seems as if there is still something that alluded me before.

So dust off those old books and dive back in. You might be surprised what you learn.

No comments: